Hong Kong Police Fires Tear Gas Following Return Of Street Protests

After weeks of calm in the Hong Kong protest that engulfed the whole country over the planned legislation before the arrival of Coronavirus (COVID-19), which obstructed everything and put the whole world on pause mode so to speak, reports monitored by dpa/NAN has it that the police in Hong Kong has fired tear gas at protesters in one of Hong Kong’s busiest shopping districts on May 24 as growing numbers took to the street in opposition to Beijing’s plans to impose a national security law that bypasses the local legislature.

The reports said that water cannon and armoured trucks were deployed across the city before protests even kicked off the latest round of protests, as police prepared for mass protests, the first of their kind since the city got COVID-19 under control. While some protesters dug up bricks from walkways, scenes largely included dozens of riot police, moving people on or blocking roads in line formations, determined to keep traffic moving for as long as possible. Demonstrations are expected to intensify throughout the day.

For effective control and to also warn intended protesters, the Hong Kong police authority in the country issued two statements in quick succession, condemning protesters for turning up and flouting social distancing laws, after calls to gather were advertised online, despite not having the official go-ahead. The police also appealed to the public to get out of the area and stay safe, as they undertake “enforcement actions against rioters.’’

Widespread outrage has engulfed the city as new laws concerning national security led the discussions on Friday at the National People’s Congress (NPC) rubber-stamp parliament in Beijing. Many Hong Kong citizens feel the new laws would infringe on the freedoms widely enjoyed by the semi-autonomous city as it would allow Chinese companies to set up security agencies. Protesters, who can currently be arrested and fined for flouting social distancing laws and for illegal assembly, may also be charged with “local terrorism” under the new national security law if it is passed by Beijing.

International human rights organisations say the laws would mean the end of the “One Country, Two Systems” principle, the 1997 understanding implemented when Britain handed control of the city back to China, which left Hong Kong a degree of autonomy. Hong Kong’s Chief Executive, Carrie Lam and Andrew Leung, the President of the territory’s Legislative Council (Legco), welcomed the move. Both politicians have been embroiled in a political stalemate between pro-establishment and pro-democratic camps in the local parliament, amid ongoing anti-government protests.

Related posts

Leave a Comment