1. The Anambra State Branch of the All Progressives Congress (APC) yesterday held a press conference where its leaders attempted to politicize the brutal murder on Friday, September 10, 2021, of the former traditional ruler of Mkpunando community in Aguleri, Anambra East Local Government Area, Chief Alexander Edozieuno, alongside his driver who was simply identified as Chukwuemeka. The APC leaders alleged some Anambra State Government officials and a member of the House of Representatives, The Honorable Chinedu Obidigwe, had a hand in the murders, adding that the persons had been sending threatening messages to APC members.
2. Though the journalists who attended the news conferences took the allegations with a pinch of salt, like the rest of ndi Anambra who heard the accusations, it is important to remind some politicians that it is asinine and callous to attempt to politicize the death of any person. To allege that the murders were preceded by threats and text messages without proof is preposterous. As the common saying goes, whoever alleges crime has to prove it.
3. APC’s evidence is that the late Chief Ezediuno, who was deposed as a traditional ruler alongside three others last December for conduct that could not be reconciled with their position as traditional rulers, purportedly joined their party a month ago. APC officers have to think again. Why is no one threatening the other three former monarchs?
4. Rather than politicize the ex-monarch’s death, the APC should provide whatever it has about the crime to the Nigeria Police Force. After all, the APC is the Federal Government party which controls not just the police force but also the Department of State security. The people and Government of Anambra State are satisfied with the action of the new Commissioner of Police in the state, Mr Tony Olofu, who personally went to the crime scene immediately he heard of Chief Ezediuno’s unfortunate death and set in motion the machinery to arrest the persons responsible for the murder and their motive.
5. Anambra people are proud that their state has in the last seven years become the most peaceful in the whole country. The level of social harmony we enjoy is unprecedented since the state was created 30 years ago. The last two major elections in the state were the most peaceful in the country, with practically no incidents. Every Anambra person has a moral responsibility to make the November 6 gubernatorial election in the state equally peaceful.
6. It would seem, however, that the APC in Anambra is unable to reconcile itself to the new order in the state. It is guilty of what psychologists call projection. Because its prominent members have a well-established record of violence, they assume that the leaders of other parties have the same proclivity towards violence and murder. The people who unleashed three days of mayhem in Anambra State in November 2003, which saw the burning and destruction of the Anambra Broadcasting Service, the Governor’s Lodge in Onitsha, the Judicial Complex building in Awka and the House of Assembly complex in Awka are now in the APC.
The persons responsible for the kidnap of the sitting governor, Dr Chris Ngige who is now the Minister of Labour and Productivity and had taken him to the Okija Shrine in the dead of the night to swear an oath of perpetual and uncritical allegiance are now APC leaders. The people involved in the monumental heist called the irrevocable standing payment orders (ISPOs), through which billions of naira of Anambra people’s wealth were paid to a handful of so-called godfathers regardless of contracts executed on behalf of the state government, are now in the APC. The persons who gave police and presidential cover to the arsonists of Anambra State, which made it impossible to arrest the culprits, let alone prosecute them, for their heinous crimes against our people, are now APC leaders.
7. Despite the machination of some politicians who are allergic to peace, order and enlightened values, the people of Anambra State are committed to a culture of harmonious living. May God continue to protect, guide and bless Anambra State, the Light of the Nation.
Signed: C. Don Adinuba, Commissioner for Information & Public Enlightenment.