Governor David Umahi of Ebonyi State and Senator-Elect for Ebonyi South senatorial district has claimed that his family conspired against him during the February 25 presidential election. The governor who would hand over to a new administration in the state come May 29, 2023, revealed this when he appeared on Channels Television on Monday night.
Umahi said he did not know that his family members voted for the candidate of the Labour Party, Peter Obi, during the presidential election. He said people voted for Obi because of the hardship they were facing, describing the scenario as protest votes.
“In all honesty, I didn’t give any chance to the Labour Party to win any election in my state (Ebonyi State) because what we had put in place was such that no other political party should be able to win anything, not even councillorship elections in my state. I see the Labour Party vote as a protest against my party, against the Peoples Democratic Party.
“I was very surprised; even in my family, there was a conspiracy against me. I did not know that they voted for Peter Obi, but in the other election, they voted for the All Progressives Congress because of what we’ve done in the state. It’s very surprising.
“It was not a vote for His Excellency, Peter Obi. As such, there are seeming hardships and challenges in Nigeria,” he claimed. Obi defeated his major contenders in the PDP and the APC and was declared the winner of the presidential election in Ebonyi State.
Obi polled over 75 per cent of the votes cast in the Southeastern state. None of the other candidates polled up to 25 per cent of the votes cast in the state. The LP candidate garnered a total of 259,738 votes to defeat Bola Tinubu of the APC who got 42,402 votes. Atiku Abubakar of the PDP polled 13,503 votes to come third in the election. Speaking further, Umahi said he was also surprised that the President-elect, Tinubu, could lose Lagos State.