*File photo of Mr. Garba Shehu (right) with his boss, President Muhammadu Buhari
Mr. Garba Shehu, the spokesperson to the President Muhammadu Buhari has disclosed that the over $311million recovered from Abacha loot from the United States of America and the Bailiwick of Jersey, on Monday, May 4, 2020, has already been allocated.
In a release Shehu issued on Tuesday he said the repatriated funds would be used in full, for what he described as “vital and decades-overdue infrastructure development.” He said some of the projects that would benefit from the mindless stealing of the late maximum ruler include the second Niger Bridge, the Lagos-Ibadan and Abuja-Kaduna-Kano expressways as well as the Mambilla Power Project.
President Buhari’s spokesperson also explained that the previous monies, which returned last year from Switzerland – amounting to over $320 million were already being used for the government’s free school feeding scheme, a stipend for millions of disadvantaged citizens, and grain grants for those in severe food hardship. He further stated that without these funds, the fight against the dreaded Coronavirus (COVID-19) would have not been easy for Nigeria.