The murdered Michael Oyedokun
One of the teachers abducted from the Community High School, Ahoro-Esinle in Oriire Local Government Area of Oyo State, Michael Oyedokun, has been killed by suspected bandits.
He was reportedly beheaded in a disturbing video allegedly released by the kidnappers on Sunday. The video, which circulated on Telegram and was obtained by journalists on Monday, showed the teacher tied up and forced to speak before he was gruesomely murdered.
The development has heightened fears over the safety of the remaining victims still being held captive by the abductors. Residents of the community, relatives of the victims, and concerned Nigerians have continued to call on security agencies and the Oyo State Government to intensify rescue efforts to secure the release of those still in captivity.
Confirming the killing, the Special Adviser on Media to Governor Seyi Makinde, Dr Suleimon Olanrewaju, in a statement on Monday, said the governor sympathised with the family of the deceased teacher and assured that the government would continue to adopt both kinetic and non-kinetic measures to rescue the remaining victims.
Olanrewaju also disclosed that about six suspects linked to the abduction had been arrested. He further sympathised with the families of soldiers, operatives of the Amotekun Corps, and local vigilantes who lost their lives during rescue operations.
According to him, the security operatives were killed after encountering Improvised Explosive Devices planted by the kidnappers. He added that injured security personnel were responding positively to treatment, assuring that the government would bear the cost of their medical care.
He appealed to families of the abducted victims, religious organisations and other stakeholders to remain patient, promising that the government was working relentlessly to ensure the victims were rescued safely.
“So, please, there may not be quick fixes, but we will continue to endeavour to push ourselves to the limit to resolve this quickly. What we know right now is that seven teachers in all were abducted. And, unfortunately, we got a video this morning that one of the teachers, I understand, the mathematics teacher, was killed by the terrorists,” he said.
Makinde’s aide, however, noted that some progress had been made in the investigation, with several suspects already arrested.
“Well, from the information available from the Commissioner of Police, about six individuals have been arrested within the locality. Some of them, we believe, are perhaps informants or people running logistics for the terrorists. Also, three individuals of interest have been arrested by another security outfit within the state,” he added.
The abductors had reportedly invaded the school on Friday, May 15, abducting the principal, other teachers, and several students. The incident came weeks after a failed kidnap attempt along the Ibadan-Ijebu Road, which reportedly claimed the life of a traveller, further raising concerns over worsening insecurity in parts of Oyo State and across the country.